Thursday 27 February 2020

Changing Perspective and Mood


There are times when nothing really seems to be going right in your life, when you feel as if the world is pitted against you for some unknown reason and it’s all a big joke being played on you. And truthfully, that’s the scenario you would actually prefer to be happening. Because at the very least, there’s an end in sight: waiting for the world’s joke to finally be revealed to you.


But when you have no answer, no clarity on why everything just seems off and not worth pursuing, it can definitely lead to some dark times that you may not want to speak much about. And that’s okay, because the vast majority of the population can agree they’ve been in such a spot in their lives before. Sometimes, there seems like no answer exists as to why you have to be going through this. And sometimes, there isn’t one.

But the number one thing I’ve taught myself is that the world as you perceive it can be changed in an instant. You can change exactly what you see, how you see it, how you feel, and what you enjoy in a heartbeat. Of course, that sort of knowledge sounds absolutely crazy and impossible to a lot of folks. But seeing beyond the little things in life that are needless and toxic is so much easier said than it is done.

At least, that’s the case at first.

You see, all it takes is action. Action can manifest in cleaning up your house or taking care of your health in minute ways. Take me, for example. I was in a funk about 8 months ago, and I really felt like there was nowhere to turn. No answers revealed themselves to me when I constantly asked “Why me?” But without fail, if I would just get up, do something small for myself or my body, things would seem a little better. And all it takes is building off that.

So what I did was get up and brush my teeth or floss any time I felt a little down. I almost conditioned myself to look at this activity as a productive one, a positive one. And never would I realize at the time that I was stacking two positive experiences on top of one another, reinforcing good habits with good perspective. Sure, it didn’t truly feel like it at the time, but forcing myself to continue looking on the bright side of things meant that I would be able to change my mood or “bad day” in a heartbeat if I truly wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment